Savory and Sweet!
Now that school is out, I have time to eat beyond the realms of fast food. Goodbye Taco Bell! Goodbye McGriddle! But most of all, goodbye instant cereal bars. 😉
Here are my top picks of the week!
- Blueberries: I’m currently interning in San Francisco and there is a cute little farmer’s market along the Ferry Building where an adorable old couple sells sweet sweet blueberries. Why do they taste so delectable and perfect? “They are made with a lot of extra love, that’s it,” says the cute blueberry woman.
Fun fact: America’s favorite muffin is the blueberry muffin.
- Triple Chocolate Cake: Chocolate Chips in Chocolate Cake topped with Chocolate frosting (If you say the word chocolate too many times, it starts to sound funny.) My dear friend Gary baked this delicious cake. Of course, it was Wesley’s idea to include the chocolate chips inside. 😉 They’re more pro than the cookie monster himself. And before I even got to the house, they had already finished half of it, so I couldn’t get a picture when the cake was at its prime… that frosting still looks amazingly smooth though.
Fun fact: If you have chocolate all over your hands, it means you’re eating it too slowly.
- Buko Pandan: This is a very delicious Filipino dessert that I would have never tried if my cousin didn’t marry a Filipino man. Thank goodness for that! It was an amazing combination of coconut meat, pandan extract, cream, milk, condensed milk, sugar, water, gelatin, and a perfect dose of green food coloring. Don’t forget the mini toothpick umbrella. It makes it all the more enjoyable when devouring.
Fun Fact: Buko Pandan is a favorite Filipino salad often served at parties and special occasions!
- Cherries: I AM OBSESSED WITH CHERRIES. That’s all I have to say.
Fun Fact: If cherries didn’t have seeds and stems, they would be much easier to eat.
- Ciao Bella Gelato: If you like sorbet on a hot sunny day, you will love Ciao Bella! The sorbet is so thick and smooth. I highly recommend Mango or Raspberry if you are a fruity type of guy or gal, otherwise they have chocolate and other creamy flavors as well. I usually get the pints from the store, but when I was walking around the ferry building, I saw a REAL CIAO BELLA STORE!!! If you can’t tell, this was and still is very exciting for me. Sorbet. yum.
Fun Fact: Ciao Bella is sold in pints at local Safeway and Target stores.
- Apple Crumble topped with Vanilla Ice Cream: When you go to a restaurant like Olive Garden, order a salad so that you don’t feel like a fatty when you get the dessert! This warm apple crumble just melts the ice cream in your mouth and every bite is like 12 seconds in heaven.
Fun Fact: Apple’s don’t have caffeine, but it works as nature’s energy booster. So when you are up late at night and are looking for coffee mug- STOP! Get an apple or drink some apple juice. It’s better for your mind, body, and health.
- Shirley Temple: I don’t like soda or anything bubbly because it hurts my throat so much :(, but I will make the exception for a perfectly mixed Shirley Temple. It has to have the right amount of grenadine syrup so that it blends the 7up/Sprite/lemon-lime pop to perfection! A cherry on top doesn’t hurt, or in this case a thin slice of an orange!
Fun Fact: One of the claims of how this drink was founded: A bartender at Chasen’s in Beverly Hills made this drink to serve Shirley Temple when she was a young actress in the 1930s!
- Bounty: Never heard of Bounty? Well neither had I until I picked one up at the airport a couple of weeks ago when I went to St. Louis. I didn’t unpack till now… and then I found the candy bar that I bought! Thank goodness for unpacking! I love finding goodies and souveniers. Anyway, Bounty is almost identical to the Almond Joy/ Mounds chocolate coconut bar, but I think it is better! Its a lot richer! I love it! It’s made by Mars so that is definitely a reassuring brand name. This is a great snack to munch on at work, which I obviously did.
Fun Fact: Bounty is sold all over the world, but not marketed in the US except at some stores like Whole Foods. Why not??? It’s so delicious. I would share it with you all, but I guess through my blog, I can only enrich you with my words. Bounty: chocolatey, coconutty, yummy.
What are your picks of the week? 😉